02 Oct 2017
Football Update

Click on a thumbnail to enlarge

Throughout the Michaelmas term, the under 13, under 15 and 1st XI football teams have all begun there national cup competitions.

Under 13

Away Vs John Lyon - Lost 1-3

In the first round of the ISFA Cup the under 13s went away to play against John Lyon School from Harrow. From the start of the game, Dulwich pressed high and caused their opponents lots of issues. After stealing the ball high up the pitch, the ball was played through to Ed Doepel who fired the ball passed the keeper to put Dulwich 1-0 up. Both teams fought on, cancelling each other out for the rest of the first half.

To start the second half, John Lyon pushed hard for an equaliser but Dulwich defended hard and kept them at bay. Midway through the half a John Lyon cross found its way all the way over the players in the box and into the far corner. Tough for the boys to take after working so hard to keep the opposition out. With their guards down defensively, John Lyon took advantage scoring two more goals. But with ten minutes left Dulwich did not give up and pressed to get themselves back into the game. Attack after attack came, Dulwich hit the bar, found the side netting and forced the John Lyon keeper into action but they could not find a way back into the game.

A great start to the season for the u13 boys with lots of positives ahead of their tour to San Sebastian in October and the Football season beginning fully in the Lent term

Under 15

Away Vs Ardingly – 2-2 Lost 2-5 After Extra Time

On a wet Thursday afternoon the under 15s travelled to Ardingly College in Sussex for their first round tie. The Dulwich boys started at a furious pace and caught Ardingly off guard. Winning the ball off of the Ardingly midfield, Teddy Watling drove forward and calmly finished, 1-0 Dulwich. As Ardingly grew into the game, Dulwich continued their relentless pressure and were rewarded as they scored a second ten minutes later as ? slotted home. Another chance fell to Teddy just before the break but a good save from the keeper kept Ardingly in the game.

As the half time whistle blew the rain got heavier and the Dulwich boys deservedly led at the break. Ardingly started stronger in the second half showing their high skill level. After miscommunication in defence Ardingly levelled and were soon pilling on the pressure. Dulwich held firm and weathered the storm but with 15 to go, Ardingly came again, scoring another goal on the break as the Dulwich boys began to tire to make it 2-2. A great save from Christian Bertrand on the final whistle took the game into extra time.

In extra time, Ardingly’s extra training and match time shone through and although the Dulwich boys worked extremely hard to compete, the home side had the edge throughout. One chance came and went for Dulwich who were not able to convert and Ardingly took advantage scoring 3 goals to put the tie to bed.

A fantastic effort from the boys to compete with one of the better footballing schools in the country, showing the potential his group has moving into the football term.

1st XI

Home Vs LVS Ascot – Won 6-1

In the early stages, both teams tried to assert themselves on the game on a tight pitch with Dulwich just gaining the upper hand but not being able to capitalise. It was Dulwich who took the lead as the ball dropped to Seb Fallowfield to fire home after a scramble in the box, 1-0. LVS Ascot replied five minutes later when a cross from the right found its way over everyone into the far corner. Dulwich battled back into the game and had most of the possession without taking advantage. Just before half time Dulwich extended their lead with James Blakemore tapping the ball home after Olly McNeil’s header came back off the crossbar.

In the second half Dulwich started brighter and pressed LVS Ascot back. Good passing from the back led to George Tribe playing the ball through to Oscar Gleave in behind the LVS defence who coolly lofted the ball over the keeper for Dulwich’s third. More dominant play followed as Dulwich continued to move the ball around the pitch quickly. After a break down the right, Oscar Gleave crossed the ball perfectly in front of the onrushing Henry Loynes who slotted home to make it 4-1. As LVS tired and Dulwich grew in confidence the final ten minutes of the game were a chance for Dulwich to try and play as the game opened up. After another assist from Oscar Gleave, George Tribe ran in behind the LVS defence scoring with ease at the far post. Then on a rare LVS attack a mistake at the back led to a penalty being awarded for LVS. Diving to his left a firm hand from Idris Owen kept the score at 5-1 and it was left to Henry Loynes to score his second and Dulwich’s sixth to add the gloss to an impressive first round performance.

Independent Schools FA (ISFA) Success

After Jamie Anderson's success over the summer being involved in the u14 ISFA Squad, Dulwich have had more representative football success.

On Sunday 17th September, over 100 boys from 150 independent schools in the South of England gathered at Eton College for the 2017/18 under 18 trials. Oliver McNeil in Year 12 attended the trials playing three games against other trialling teams. The overall standard of the day was exceptional showing just how much football in independent schools has grown in recent years. Olly performed extremely well, displaying a high level of skill, athleticism and game understanding to impress the selectors. Olly is still a year young at under 18 but has been selected in the top 35 boys who will go on to represent the ISFA South side in their upcoming fixtures, from which the England ISFA side will be selected. This is a great achievement for Olly and it is fantastic to have a Dulwich boy amongst the top footballers in independent schools football.

Well done Olly, everyone at Dulwich wishes you the best of luck in the upcoming games.

A fantastic start to football this academic year. Good luck to the 1st XI in their second round tie away at Ardingly next month and well done to all boys who have represented the college so far.